Another MLS regular season is in the books.
As we shift our focus to the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs which kick off in just a few days, we take a look back at the players who have excelled in various statistical categories over the course of the year.
For the full list of stats leaders in select categories, check out the links below or visit the MLSsoccer.com stats section
- Goals (G): Carlos Vela (LAFC) – 34 goals
- Game-Winning Goals (GWG): Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LA) – 9 game-winning goals
- Assists (A): Maxi Moralez (NYC) – 20 assists
- Shots (SHTS): Carlos Vela (LAFC) – 160 shots
- Shots on Goal (SOG): Carlos Vela (LAFC) – 71 shots on goal
- Fouls Committed (FC): Luis Caicedo (NE) – 79 fouls committed
- Fouls Suffered (FS): Nicolas Lodeiro (SEA) – 108 fouls suffered
- Red Cards (RC): Roger Espinoza (SKC) – 3 red cards
- Yellow Cards (YC): Bryan Acosta (DAL), Alex Ring (NYC) – 12 yellow cards
- Minutes Played (MINS): Haris Medunjanin (PHI), Keegan Rosenberry (COL), Jack Elliott (PHI) – 3,060 minutes (field players)
- Offside (OFF): Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LA) – 44 times offside
- Goalkeeper Saves (SV): David Bingham (LA) – 141 saves
- Goalkeeper Shutouts (ShO): Brad Guzan (ATL), Bill Hamid (DC) – 14 shutouts
Stats below courtesy of Opta
Big Chances Created
Creating a situation in which a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a 1-on-1 scenario or from very close range.
The final pass or pass before a shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.
Expected assists (xA) measures the likelihood that a given pass will become a goal assist. It considers several factors including the type of pass, pass end-point and length of pass. Adding up a player or team’s expected assists gives us an indication of how many assists a player of team should have had based on their build up and attacking play.
Completed passes as a percentage of total passes attempted.
This is an attempt by a player to beat an opponent in possession of the ball. A successful dribble means the player beats the defender while retaining possession.
|2||Carlos Vela (LAFC)||87|
|3||Latif Blessing (LAFC)||77|
A sum of all events which involve a player touching the ball.
A duel is an 50-50 contest between two players of opposing sides in the match. For every Duel Won there is a corresponding Duel Lost depending on the outcome of the contest.
A tackle is defined as a play in which a player connects with the ball in a ground challenge, successfully taking the ball away from the man in possession.
An action which involves a player blocking a shot by an opponent.
An action in which a player intentionally intercepts a pass by moving into the line of the intended ball.
A defensive action which sees a player kick the ball away from his own goal with no intended recipient of the ball.
|1||Frederic Brillant (DC)||210|
|2||Steven Birnbaum (DC)||177|
|3||Ike Opara (MIN)||153|
Recoveries (by an outfield player)
An action in which a player wins back the ball when it has gone loose or when the ball has been played directly to him.